Friday, January 21, 2011

The New and the Noteworthy

Hello hello.  I have decided in my infinitely seeming amount of free time to create a blog. The entire purpose of such a thing is not yet clear to me.

For the moment, though, I want to this to be a space to voice my thoughts as a writer.  A trying writer.  Maybe not trying that hard all the time, but very passionately when chance arises, and with much personal promise.  You see, I've had this concept, this idealistic future space in which I get paid money, maybe not a lot but enough to live in some modicum of comfort, to do the one thing that is just mine, that just I love.  To write.  To create--the story, the character, the epicness that can be imagined.  I don't know what it is or why, that doesn't feel important.

So, I try and write.  For a while now that's how it's been.  Through highschool when dreams were the future.  Through college when reality was the future but the dream was still heavy on the mind. And now into the next 6 months, those lost in the mind, the stumble around (or upon) for a while before the real reality starts.  Anyway I'm in the tail end of that phase.  Still trying to write.

And it works, I feel good, I write sometimes.  I get filled the dream of doing this, of actually seeing my name on a shelf somewhere.  The immortality of it all gets to me.  But life steps in the way.  Or, it has in the past- at least I tell myself it has in the past to hide the fact that I have submitted nothing nowhere.  And now I tell myself it will block the flow, stem the tide that could be released from my brain through my fingertips.  I fall victim to apathy or Dexter or work or sleep or the Internet, and time slips away.

I feel the need to give you, if there are any readers at all, at least the minimum of my life and perspective to understand why this might be important for me.  I am writing this blog to try and keep up at least a steady flow of words.  They say any practice is good for you, so that's one point for flow.  Another is that I thought it would be fun- I dick around the internet, refreshing Facebook enough times a night to know that I have at least the 20-40 minutes every night to do this.  So why not?  I need a why not factor.  Third, this will make me feel more accomplished.  Maybe.  We'll see.  But I do love writing, and this already feels like something, so here we go.

p.s. still coming up with one of those really witty titles that hook you like a junior honors class novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment